With the festive season almost upon us we want to take this opportunity to wish all our previous and future guests a wonderful holiday – we hope you have a terrific break and that your summers are filled with all your favourite things! If you are travelling (by road, seas, skies or sleighs) please be safe and if you need somewhere to stay don’t forget you’ll always be welcome under the Southern Cross.
If you’re travelling to Mackay you will see a new friendly face great you at Windmill Motel and Events Centre – Ian Clark has joined the Southern Cross Motel Group team as our newest Manager.
After graduating with a combined university degree, Ian knew that hospitality and tourism were in his DNA. After many years working in international resorts and with major hotel groups, Ian has spent recent years living and working in Asia – destination – Vietnam. The cultural and culinary experiences were amazing not to mention the very ‘acquired skill’ of riding a Honda scooter to work every day in the heavily populated city of Ho Chi Minh City.
Now Ian has decided that a move to regional Australia was a priority so that his young family could grow and experience life ‘downunder’. Ian’s passion is unsurpassed customer service and that is what each and every guest will receive in his new role in Mackay.
Come and say ‘hi’ to Ian soon at the Windmill Motel & Events Centre and feel free to stay a while – the coffee is hot and the service consistently fabulous!
We all know that our major cities put on amazing fireworks shows for New Year’s Eve but did you know that many of our regional towns host quite a celebration as well? The celebrations are distinctly family affairs with fireworks plus a host of attractions for young and old.
Parkes Harness Racing Club invites everyone to join in the excitement at their annual New Year’s Cup at Parkes Showground. As well as racing and punting, there will be a free jumping castle and face painting, photo booth, along with bike and scooter giveaways throughout the night, making the day a perfect family outing. A free sweepstakes will be held on the night with prizes for everyone who draws a horse. And the night will finish with a firework display to ring in 2018. For further details, please contact the club on (02) 6862 5966 or by email secretary@parkesharnessracing.
If you’re in Narrabri, The Crossing Theatre invites locals and visitors to join them on the lawn for a free New Year’s Eve family fireworks event. Featuring live entertainment, jumping castles and food & bar facilities, this is an event for the whole family. Bring along your picnics, chairs & blankets and enjoy.
Not to be outdone, Dubbo is laying claim to regional NSW’s best fireworks at Caltex Park. BYO rug or chairs and picnic. The party kicks off at 5pm with market stalls, lots of children’s activities and a mini carnival. Take part in all the entertainment for only a gold coin donation upon arrival in support of a local charity.
One of the signs that Christmas is approaching is when you start hearing all those familiar carols. You can find a Carol night in almost every town and city across the country – by candlelight, by starlight and even in caves!
Here are some local Christmas Carol options if you are staying in our accommodation:
- Rockhampton’s Carols by Candlelight returns to bring some central Queensland Christmas cheer. Held at the Pilbeam Theatre on Wednesday 6th December (ticketed event) and Rockhampton Music Bowl on Saturday 9th December (entry by donation). “Each year there’s always such a wonderful sense of giving as our dedicated supporters dig deep and donate for our chosen charity” says Mayor Strelow.
- Bundaberg presents Carols Under the Stars 2017 on 12th December. BYO chairs and picnic blankets and celebrate Christmas with carols on the back lawn at 36 Avoca Street, Millbank. There will also be a free sausage sizzle and kids craft to keep the little ones entertained. http://bundabergregionevents.com.au/events/carols-under-stars-0
- If the beach is more your style, bring the family, pack your picnic blanket and relax under the stars to enjoy Bargara’s annual night of carolling by candlelight. There will be food and drink stalls, free face-painting, lollies, camel rides and a jumping castle to keep the kids entertained.
- For something different, Carols in the Cave is returning to Dubbo. On Sunday evening December 17th, head to the Wellington Caves for a performance of classic carols and feature acts including The Stray Notes. Free admission and BYO chairs and rugs. http://dubbo.com.au/events-calendar/carols-in-the-cave
Are you looking for some inspiration for a low-key holiday break or a bit of an adventure to make the most of the weather this summer? Why not set out to explore some roads less travelled across regional Australia. Our country hospitality will ensure there’s a clean comfortable room and a genuine welcome waiting for you at the end of the day driving, exploring or sight-seeing. We have some fantastic rates on our accommodation offer between 15th December 2017 and 15th January 2018 to inspire you!
- The Palms Motel, Chinchilla – from $99/night
- Chinchilla Downtown Motor Inn, Chinchilla – from $109/night
- Windmill Motel & Events Centre, Mackay – from $109/night
Coffee House Apartment Motel, Rockhampton – from $125/night
- Sugar Country Motor Inn, Bundaberg – from $125/night
- Takalvan Motel, Bundaberg – from $125/night
New South Wales
- Junee Motor Inn, Junee – from $100/night
- Adelong Motel, Narrabri – from $125/night
- The Aberdeen Motel, Dubbo – from $125/night
- Station Motel, Parkes – from $130/night
Please be aware that while we have lots of great rates during this period we have limited rooms available.